Monday, June 7, 2010

Vito's Chicago Style Pizza 05/28/10

I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but I lived in Chicago once upon a time. Ever since leaving that city, I have occasionally craved Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, and deep dish pizza. Thankfully, there's Cats & Dogs at the Grove Arcade to satisfy the first two cravings. I used to have to drive to Charlotte for pizza.

I was hoping to introduce my girlfriend to authentic Chicago deep dish by visiting this new place out by the airport. We sat down and started with garlic knots since deep dish takes a while. The knots and sauce are awesome. I have to say, they have some of the zestier sauce I've had anywhere, which I love. I also had a small Caesar salad that was great.

I ordered my pie with sausage and spinach. When it came out it was a bit shallow for deep dish. I mean the crust was deep, but the pie was only half full. I'm used to my deep dish being a thick pie that only takes one slice to fill me up. The crust was also not up to snuff. Chicago style usually has a flaky pastry crust. This was just thin crust pizza with high edges. I don't think Vito's did their homework on this one and a trip to the Windy City is in order if they want to get it right.

One more thing -TV's. Have I mentioned before I hate televisions in restaurants? I don't dine out to watch TV. They also had the air on a bit cold for comfort.

I'd go back and get take out from Vito's, but it'd probably be pasta or something other than the Pizza, since I did like the sauce.

*** Three Asterisks

Vito's Chicago Style Pizza
300 Airport Rd Arden, NC (828) 687-9500

Vito's Chicago Style Pizza on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I think their place is pathetic and overpriced. Have you tried Ianuccis yet on Hendersonville Road just past Long Shoals? MUCH better pizza, although not Chicago. HUGE calzones also and great sauce for their pasta.There is a Flickr site for Ate in Asheville. Where you eat here it would be great if you would post pics and where it is: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ateinasheville/pool/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I think your reviews are great:) would you mind checking out mine? http://projectbitebybite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete